JEST is the abbreviation for Joint Entrance Screening Test, it is considered to be NET (National Eligibility Test) by SERB (Science & Engineering Research Board).
Candidates seeking for the integrated programme in PhD in Physics or Theoretical Computer Science or Neuroscience or Computational Biology have to give Joint Entrance Screening Test examination.
Joint Entrance Screening Test is a type of compulsory examination which is good for the aspirants seeking admission in integrated programmes of PhD.
Admission Forms of JEST (Joint Entrance Screening Test) will be released in December 2019 like every year.
Information regarding important dates, exam pattern, syllabus, admit card, result, application form, etc. are mentioned below in this article.
Candidates are requested to check the details wisely.
JEST 2019 Important Dates
Important dates regarding Joint Entrance Screening Test 2019 are mentioned below in the table. Candidates are requested to go through the dates thoroughly:
|Application Form||Dec 2018|
|Application Form Last Date||Dec 2019|
|JEST Admit Card||Jan 2019|
|JEST Exam Date||Feb 2019|
|The release of Answer Key||Feb, 2019|
JEST 2019 Eligibility
Different courses have different eligibility criteria. Points are mentioned below, candidates can check the eligibility criteria which is very important for the examination purpose:
There is no age restriction in Joint Entrance Screening Test 2019.
JEST 2019 Eligibility Criteria for the PhD programme in Physics
The eligibility criteria to take Joint Entrance Screening Test exam for a PhD course in Physics varies from college to college.
- MSc in Physics (in all participating Institutes).
- MSc in Mathematics / Applied Physics / Applied Mathematics / Optics and Photonics / Instrumentation / Electronics will also be considered at Indian Institute of Astrophysics, Bangalore.
- BE or BTech will be considered at IISc, IMSc, ICTS-TIFR, IUCAA, JNCASR, NCRA-TIFR, TIFR-TCIS, RRI, IISER Mohali, IISER Pune, IISER Thiruvananthapuram.
- MSc in Physics / Electronics / Astronomy / Applied Mathematics will be considered at IUCAA.
- MSc in Physics, Engineering Physics or Applied Physics will also be considered at IPR.
- MSc in Physics, Chemistry, Applied Mathematics, Biophysics or Biochemistry will be considered at SNBNCBS.
- BTech Eng Phys will be considered at TIFR.
- ME/MTech in Applied Physics will be considered at NISER.
JEST 2019 Eligibility Criteria for the PhD programme in Theoretical Computer Science at IMSc
- MSc/ME/MTech.in Computer Science and related disciplines, and should be interested in the mathematical aspects of computer science.
JEST 2019 Eligibility Criteria for PhD in Neuroscience at NBRC
- MSc (Physics/ Mathematics), BE/BTech/MCA in Computer Science.
JEST 2019 Eligibility Criteria for PhD in Computational Biology at IMSc
- MSc/ME/MTech?/MCA in any engineering or science discipline, with good mathematical skills and a strong interest in biological problems.
JEST 2019 Eligibility Criteria for Integrated MSc/MTech – PhD Programme (Physics)
- BSc (Physics/Mathematics) will be considered at SNBNCBS.
- BSc (Physics) will be considered at IMSc.
- BSc (Physics/Mathematics/BE/BTech in Electrical/Instrumentation/Engineering Physics/Electronics and Communications/Computer Science and Engineering/Optics and Photonics will be considered in IIA.
- BSc (Physics) or BE/BTech in Engineering Physics, with a minimum of first class marks, will be considered at NISER.
- BSc (Physics) will be considered at IISER-Pune, ICTS-TIFR, NCRA-TIFR, and TIFR-TCIS.
JEST 2019 Eligibility Criteria for Integrated PhD Programme in Theoretical Computer Science at IMSc
- BSc/BE/BTech/MCA in Computer Science or related disciplines and should be interested in the mathematical aspects of computer science.
JEST 2019 Eligibility Criteria for Integrated MTech – PhD Programme at IIA
- MSc (Physics/Applied Physics/Post-BSc (Hons) in Optics and Optoelectronics / Radio Physics and Electronics.
JEST 2019 Eligibility Criteria for Integrated PhD Programme at IISER Thiruvananthapuram
- BSc (Physics) or BE/BTech in any discipline.
JEST 2019 Eligibility Criteria for MSc Programme at HRI
- BSc (Physics) or BE/BTech degree in any discipline.
- HRI is starting a new MSc programme in Physics from 2019. The Integrated PhD programme in Physics at HRI is discontinued from 2018.
JEST 2019 Exam Pattern
|Section||No. of Questions|
The total number of questions will be 50.
Maximum marks will be 100.
There will be 3 sections in the question paper.
JEST 2019 Marking Scheme:
|Section||Marks for Each Correct Answer||Marks for Each Incorrect Answer|
|Part B||+3||No negative marking|
JEST 2019 Application Form
- The application will be available for the month of December and the Last Date for Submission of Application Form is 22 Dec 2019.
- When applying application online candidates have to upload the scanned photograph and signature in jpg format.
- Candidates can pay application form fees via online modes like debit/ credit card or net banking.
- Procedure to fill the application form is mentioned below:
- Step 1: Create Registration ID
- Step 2: Fill Details in Joint Entrance Screening Test Application Form
- Step 3: Upload Important Documents
- Step 4: Pay Joint Entrance Screening Test Application Fee
- Step 5: Submit & Print Joint Entrance Screening Test Application Form
|JEST 2019 Application Fee|
JEST 2019 Syllabus
The topics for JEST 2019 is mentioned below:
JEST 2019 Syllabus for Mathematical Methods
- Vector Algebra and Vector Calculus
- Curvilinear Coordinate Systems
- Linear Algebra
- Linear Differential Equations
- Elements of Sturm–Liouville Theory
- Special Functions
- Complex Analysis
- Fourier Series And Fourier Transforms
- Laplace Transforms
- Elementary Properties of Discrete Groups
- Elements of Probability Theory
- Error Analysis
JEST 2019 Syllabus for Classical Mechanics
- Newton’s Laws
- Conservation Of Energy and Momentum
- Generalised Coordinates
- The principle of Least Action
- Lagrangian and Hamiltonian Formulations of Mechanics
- Symmetry and Conservation Laws
- Central Force Problem
- Kepler Problem
- Small Oscillations and Normal Modes
- Special Relativity in Classical Mechanics
JEST 2019 Syllabus for Electromagnetism & Optics
- Electrostatics and Magnetostatics
- Boundary Value Problems
- Multipole Expansion
- Fields in Conducting
- Diamagnetic and Paramagnetic Media
- Faraday’s Law and Time-Varying Fields
- Displacement Current
- Maxwell’s Equations
- Energy and Momentum of Electromagnetic Fields
- Propagation of Plane Electromagnetic Waves
- Reflection, Refraction
- Electromagnetic Waves in Dispersive And Conducting Media
JEST 2019 Syllabus for Quantum Mechanics
- Uncertainty Principle
- Schrodinger Equation
- Central Potentials
- Hydrogen Atom
- Orbital and Spin Angular Momenta
- Addition of Angular Momenta
- Matrix Formulation of Quantum Theory
- Unitary Transformations
- Hermitian Operators
- Variational Principle
- Time Independent Perturbation Theory
- Time Dependent Perturbation Theory
JEST 2019 Syllabus for Thermodynamics & Statistical Physics
- Laws of Thermodynamics
- Work and Heat
- Thermodynamic Potentials
- Elements of Kinetic Theory
- Maxwell’s Relations
- Statistical Ensembles
- Partition Function
- Classical Ideal Gas
- Harmonic Oscillators
- Classical and Quantum Statistics
- Fermi and Bose Gases
- Black Body Radiation
- Statistics of Paramagnetism
JEST 2019 Syllabus for Electronics
- Basics of Semiconductor
- p-n Junctions
- LCR Circuits
- Active Filters and Oscillators
- Basics of OPAMPS and their Applications
- Basics of Digital Electronics
JEST 2019 Admit Card
All candidates can download there admit cards from the official website of the exam.
Admit is compulsory to carry in the examination hall.
Candidates must preserve the admit card till the end of the admission process.
JEST 2019 Results
Results of the Joint Entrance Screening Test will be declared on the official website of JEST.
Results will be available to the candidates only in an online mode.
The result will not be personally sent by any authority to candidates.
The candidate has to keep printed copies of Joint Entrance Screening Test result for admission process.