JEST is the abbreviation for the Joint Entrance Screening Test, it is considered to be NET (National Eligibility Test) by SERB (Science & Engineering Research Board).
Candidates seeking for the integrated programme in Ph.D. in Physics or Theoretical Computer Science or Neuroscience or Computational Biology have to give Joint Entrance Screening Test examination.
Joint Entrance Screening Test is a type of compulsory examination which is good for the aspirants seeking admission in integrated programmes of Ph.D.
Admission Forms of JEST (Joint Entrance Screening Test) will be released in December 2020 like every year.
Information regarding JEST 2020 important dates, exam pattern, syllabus, admit card, result, application form, etc. are mentioned below in this article.
|Exam Name||JEST 2020|
|Exam Level||PhD level|
|Test Duration||180 minutes|
|No. of Test Cities||36 cities in India|
– PhD/ PhD
to December 2019
|Exam Date||February, 2020|
JEST 2020 Important Dates
Important dates regarding Joint Entrance Screening Test 2020 are mentioned below in the table. Candidates are requested to go through the dates thoroughly:
|Starting of JEST online application form||November 2019|
|Last date to submit the application form||December 2019|
|Availability of admit card||January 2020|
|Exam date||February 2020|
|Answer Key Release||Last week of February 2020|
|Last date to submit objection regarding answer key||1st week of March 2020|
|Declaration of result||Last week of March 2020|
|Interview starts||3rd week of April 2020|
JEST 2020 Eligibility Criteria
Different courses have different eligibility criteria. Points are mentioned below, candidates can check the eligibility criteria which is very important for the examination purpose:
There is no age restriction in Joint Entrance Screening Test 2020.
|Ph.D (Physics)||M.Sc. in Physics is the qualifying degree. Some institutions also accept B.E./B.Tech./M.Sc./M.E./ M.Tech in Applied Physics and Mathematics.|
|Ph.D in Theoretical Computer Science at IMSc||M.Sc./M.E./M.Tech in Computer Science and related streams.|
|Ph D in Neuroscience at NBRC||M.Sc (Physics/Mathematics), B.E/B.Tech/MCA in Computer Science.|
|Ph.D in Computational Biology at IMSc||M.Sc./M.E./M.Tech/MCA in any discipline or science with some mathematical skills and strong knowledge in biological problems.|
|Integrated M.Sc./ M.Tech-Ph.D (Physics)||B. Sc. (Physics/Mathematics).For NISER, B.Sc (Physics) or B.E./B.Tech in Engineering (Physics) with 60% and above.
For IIA, B.Sc. (Physics/Mathematics) /B.E./ B.Tech in Electrical/ Instrumentation/ Engineering Physics/Electronics and Communications/ Computer Science & Engineering/Optics and Photonics will also be considered.
IISER-Pune, ICTS-TIFR, NCRA-TIFR, and TIFR-TCIS, B.Sc. (Physics) will be considered.
|Integrated Ph.D in Theoretical Computer Science at IMSc||B.Sc./B.E./B.Tech./M.C.A. in Computer Science or related discipline.|
|Integrated M.Tech-Ph.D. at IIA||M.Sc. (Physics/Applied Physics)/Post-B.Sc. (Hons.) in Optics and Optoelectronics/Radio Physics & Electronics.|
|Integrated Ph.D. at IISER, Thiruvananthapuram||B. Sc. (Physics) or B.E./B. Tech. in any discipline.|
Click here to view detailed JEST 2020 Eligibility Criteria.
JEST 2020 Exam Pattern
- Mode: The entrance exam will be conducted through offline mode (OMR).
- Duration of Exam: 3 hours will be provided to complete the exam.
- Number of Questions: The question paper of Physics will be divided into three parts i.e. Part A, Part B and Part C.
- Language: The paper will be published in the English language.
JEST 2020 Marking Scheme:
|Section||No. of Questions|
|Section||Marks for Each Correct Answer||Marks for Each Incorrect Answer|
|Part B||+3||No negative marking|
JEST 2020 Application Form
- The registration process will take place through online mode.
- The online application will commence tentatively from November 2019.
- The online application process for JEST 2020 will close tentatively in December 2019.
- The applicants need to upload their scanned images of the signature and the photograph.
- After successful submission of the application form, applicant will be intimated through a mail generated by the system of the acceptance of application form.
Procedure to fill the application form is mentioned below:
- Step 1: Create a Registration ID
- Step 2: Fill Details in Joint Entrance Screening Test Application Form
- Step 3: Upload Important Documents
- Step 4: Pay Joint Entrance Screening Test Application Fee
- Step 5: Submit & Print Joint Entrance Screening Test Application Form
|JEST 2020 Application Fee|
Note: Application Fee is waived for FEMALE applicants belonging to SC/ST.
JEST 2020 Syllabus
The topics for JEST 2020 is mentioned below:
JEST 2020 Syllabus for Mathematical Methods
- Vector Algebra and Vector Calculus
- Curvilinear Coordinate Systems
- Linear Algebra
- Linear Differential Equations
- Elements of Sturm–Liouville Theory
- Special Functions
- Complex Analysis
- Fourier Series And Fourier Transforms
- Laplace Transforms
- Elementary Properties of Discrete Groups
- Elements of Probability Theory
- Error Analysis
JEST 2020 Syllabus for Classical Mechanics
- Newton’s Laws
- Conservation Of Energy and Momentum
- Generalised Coordinates
- The principle of Least Action
- Lagrangian and Hamiltonian Formulations of Mechanics
- Symmetry and Conservation Laws
- Central Force Problem
- Kepler Problem
- Small Oscillations and Normal Modes
- Special Relativity in Classical Mechanics
JEST 2020 Syllabus for Electromagnetism & Optics
- Electrostatics and Magnetostatics
- Boundary Value Problems
- Multipole Expansion
- Fields in Conducting
- Diamagnetic and Paramagnetic Media
- Faraday’s Law and Time-Varying Fields
- Displacement Current
- Maxwell’s Equations
- Energy and Momentum of Electromagnetic Fields
- Propagation of Plane Electromagnetic Waves
- Reflection, Refraction
- Electromagnetic Waves in Dispersive And Conducting Media
JEST 2020 Syllabus for Quantum Mechanics
- Uncertainty Principle
- Schrodinger Equation
- Central Potentials
- Hydrogen Atom
- Orbital and Spin Angular Momenta
- Addition of Angular Momenta
- Matrix Formulation of Quantum Theory
- Unitary Transformations
- Hermitian Operators
- Variational Principle
- Time Independent Perturbation Theory
- Time Dependent Perturbation Theory
JEST 2020 Syllabus for Thermodynamics & Statistical Physics
- Laws of Thermodynamics
- Work and Heat
- Thermodynamic Potentials
- Elements of Kinetic Theory
- Maxwell’s Relations
- Statistical Ensembles
- Partition Function
- Classical Ideal Gas
- Harmonic Oscillators
- Classical and Quantum Statistics
- Fermi and Bose Gases
- Black Body Radiation
- Statistics of Paramagnetism
JEST 2020 Syllabus for Electronics
- Basics of Semiconductor
- p-n Junctions
- LCR Circuits
- Active Filters and Oscillators
- Basics of OPAMPS and their Applications
- Basics of Digital Electronics
Exams You Might Like
JEST 2020 Admit Card
- All candidates can download there admit cards from the official website of the exam.
- Admit is compulsory to carry in the examination hall.
- Candidates must preserve the admit card till the end of the admission process.
JEST 2020 Exam Centers
JEST 2020 is scheduled to be conducted on February, 2020. Candidates can view JEST 2020 test centres are listed below:
|Vishakhapatnam||Mangalore (Centre is subject availability. Second option will be allotted if centre is not available)||Kozhikode (Centre is subject availability. Second option will be allotted if centre is not available)|
JEST 2020 Results
- Results of the Joint Entrance Screening Test will be declared on the official website of JEST.
- Results will be available to the candidates only in an online mode.
- The result will not be personally sent by any authority to candidates.
- The candidate has to keep printed copies of Joint Entrance Screening Test result for the admission process.
JEST 2020 FAQ’S
For any queries regarding JEST 2020, please comment below.